I LOVE that matcha is gaining popularity. More and more coffee shops are selling it, making this girl happier and happier.
Haven’t tried it?
As you take your first sip of matcha you’ll be hit with an intense green tea-ish flavor accompanied by a slightly grainy texture. After the initial shock of trying something new, you’ll begin to notice matcha’s subtle nodes of sweetness.
Places like Whole Foods and other health-forward coffee shops usually sell matcha as a latte paired with your favorite milk of choice. I prefer it mixed with water and honey, and when I want a treat, I order a matcha latte with coconut or almond milk.
For those of you in my neck of the woods, Java Love sells an unsweetened matcha. (Which I love because I prefer to choose my own sweeteners.) Java Love has two locations in Montclair, NJ: one on Bellevue Ave and one on Church Street, as well as two locations in NY State: their flagship in White Lake, NY just outside of Bethel Woods, and their outpost in Roscoe, NY near Liberty. You can learn more about Java Love Roasting co. here
What is Matcha?
Matcha is the ground powder of specially grown green tea leaves.
It’s common knowledge that green tea is associated with health, right?
Get this… just ONE serving of matcha comes packed with the number of antioxidants in 10 cups of normal green tea.
Health Benefits of Matcha:
- Packed with antioxidants
- Cancer-fighting properties
- Enhances mood
- Aids in concentration
- Energy Boost
- Detoxes the body
- Protects the liver
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
- Vitamin C, Selenium, Chromium, Zinc and Magnesium
Deep Dive into Matcha’s Health Benefits
Packed with antioxidants: Matcha has an ORAC score of 1,573 antioxidant units per gram compared to a score of 90-250 from other antioxidant-rich foods like blueberries and goji berries.
Antioxidants are chemical compounds that prevent chronic diseases and aging, so why wouldn’t you take the opportunity to consume more antioxidants when you can?!
Potent Cancer-fighting properties: Contains EGCG which is a catechin that has potent cancer-fighting properties.
Mood enhancer, energy booster and improves focus: Matcha contains 35mg of caffeine as well as 14.26mg of L-theanine, a rare amino acid that promotes relaxation. The combination of caffeine and L-theanine promotes a calm state of concentration and alertness. (1)
Detoxes your body: the chlorophyll in matcha is what gives the tea its bright green color. Chlorophyll detoxes chemicals and heavy metals from the body. Matcha is grown in the shade, making it full of more chlorophyll than regularly grown green tea leaves. (2)
Protects the liver: A recent study found that consuming matcha for 16 weeks helped prevent damage to the liver and kidneys (1)
Boosts metabolism and burns calories: A study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that matcha green tea can increase the body’s rate of burning calories from a normal 8-10% to between 35-43%. (2)
Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
- EGCG is also an effective treatment to decrease cholesterol absorption, and when taken daily it works similar to statins. (4)
- In a recent study done by the Institute of Natural Medicine, scientists found that matcha had a positive effect on naturally lowering blood sugar.
Additional Nutrients: Vitamin C, Selenium, Chromium, Zinc and Magnesium
- Vitamin C: boosts your immune system, prevents heart and eye disease, controls symptoms of asthma, and it assists your body in creating collagen; meaning vitamin c is great to reduce skin sagging and wrinkling, as well as healing wounds and scar tissue.
- Selenium: Antioxidant, defends against cancer, boosts the immune system, regulates thyroid function, increases longevity
- Chromium: regulates blood sugar, helps insulin transport glucose into energy, necessary for the functioning metabolism of carbs, fat, and protein.
- Zinc: Regulates immune function, treats the common cold, heals wounds, good for skin and acne, positive effects on learning and memory
- Magnesium: crucial to nutrient metabolism, bone function, energy production, supports healthy immune system, promotes normal blood sugar, eases muscle cramps and spasms, prevents acid reflux, prevents anxiety
I hope you enjoyed! Be sure to subscribe to OmniMinds so you don’t miss out on a post.